But in the end it was a good thing I didn’t finish the dress earlier: over time and after handling the fabrics, it turned out that the linen I chose for the lining was rather stretchy. Or should I say the weave had a life of its own?Once I had made 2 identical dresses, one of wool and the other of linen, I tried putting them together – but they didn’t match: the linen dress had gained too much in width. I’m not good at giving up so for the longest time I tried to make the layers match one seam at a time. It just didn’t work out, even despite the valuable help by Indy.
I calmly put the project aside after accepting that the dress deserved a fresh start. Finally, yesterday, I dag out the bundle of fabrics from my crafts basket, shook off the dust and cat hair, and started to undo the seams one by one. (Darn the tiny stitches!) The plan is now to take the whole dress to pieces and redo it by stitching the linen to the wool while sewing the seams. Carefully though, since the stupid linen is not only stretchy but also frays like mad.